Multiple sclerosis is a chronic neurological disease that affects the central nervous system and affects the brain
and spinal cord, and causes damage to the membrane surrounding nerve cells called myelin; Than
It leads to hardening of the cells and thus slowing down or stopping the movement of nerve impulses traveling between the brain
and body parts. Symptoms of multiple sclerosis appear suddenly to the patient and those around him, and they differ
Symptoms are in severity according to the degree and location of the infection.
Symptoms of MS include:
• It includes feeling tingling or numbness in the extremities.
• Weakness or spasm in the muscles.
• Blurred vision, double vision, or indistinguishable colours.
• Weakness and rapid fatigue.
• Difficulty speaking.
• Memory and decision-making ability are affected.
• Through symptoms and linking them to the time and quality of their occurrence.
• Evaluation of the patient’s condition, and review of his medical history.
• Clinical examinations.
• Some analyzes such as blood analysis.
• Take a sample of spinal fluid and analyze it; To detect any abnormal changes.
• Magnetic resonance imaging of the brain.
• Test measuring nerve impulses.
Treatment aims to control the symptoms associated with the disease, and stop the progression of the disease.
• Corticosteroid group: It is used to reduce the symptoms of inflammation.
• Interferon group: to slow down the progression of the disease.
• Glatiramer acetate: to reduce immune system attacks on nerves.
• Fingolimod: It traps the immune cells in the lymph nodes, which helps a little to reduce attacks
The immune system on the nerves.
• Natalizumab: to reduce the attacks of the immune system on the nerves.
• Mitosantron: It is used to treat severe and advanced cases of multiple sclerosis
By suppressing the immune system.
• Teriflunomide: To reduce the immune system’s attacks on nerves.
Complications of multiple sclerosis:
• Stiffness and muscle spasm.
• paralysis of the muscles of the feet.
• Problems in the bladder, intestines.
• Forgetfulness and loss of ability to focus.
• knock down.
Living with multiple sclerosis:
• Sometimes symptoms of stiffness or attacks of illness appear after exposure to heat, for example:
(the heat of the sun, or when taking a hot shower, or exposure to hot air); So it is recommended
The patient should always avoid heat as much as possible.
• Eat healthy, balanced foods that help maintain a healthy weight, strengthen immunity, and keep your body healthy
• Avoid stressors.
Source: Saudi Ministry of Health